Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
What are you gaining with a fixed power scope that a variable can’t do with more versatility? Really want to hear the answer.

Originally Posted by greydog
you are gaining durability while losing weight and bulk. GD

Originally Posted by Elvis
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
What are you gaining with a fixed power scope that a variable can’t do with more versatility? Really want to hear the answer.

Simplicity.

There's a couple of points. Lighter weight, durability, and simplicity. If made to exactly the same specs, a fixed scope is going to be less likely to have problems simply because there are less moving parts. Lighter because of the fewer parts and fewer lenses. Fewer lenses also results in less light lost on every glass/air surface so a higher percentage of light will make it through the scope than a variable of the same glass/coating specs. The simplicity of the image being the same, the same eye relief, the same exit pupil every time you look through it. Sleek and slim lined without a power ring on the tube is nice...no change of power to consider....

....I'm not really arguing against variables but in use I've not found myself handicapped with fixed scopes and I prefer them, especially 6x42 scopes. Simple things are reliable, simple things last, simple things are efficient. They aren't the best fit for everything but a simple read through this thread shows that for many people they're the best fit for their preference.....and that's as good an argument for them as any.