Originally Posted by KFWA
I think I read the masks are not as effective against this as other virus because it can be absorbed thru the eyes? I guess that's why you see people walking around in life sized condoms in China.

but I think the masks have to be many times more effective than *not* wearing a mask. If you are buying one, look for the blue on one side/white on the other. The white/white paper masks are not intended to stop virus spread.

*note* - all this comes from what I read online so fwiw......

btw, I have a box of 50 surgical masks I will trade for a Savage 99 in .308 (joke)

I read that, too.

I'm not sure of the "dose" of virus necessary to cause an infection. Evidently it's not that much.

The reproductive rate, Ro, is higher than SARS, lower than measles which is one of the most contagious viruses, Ro 18.

The Ro of COVID-19 is not a definite value, being refined as the disease progresses, currently floating between 2.0 and 3.1.

As I posted earlier, the fact that this one can be contagious for a period of time before symptom appear makes it especially hard (next to impossible) to contain.

And, the fact that it's NOT as deadly as Ebola and others, makes it easier to spread undetected.

We see the death rate in 3rd world countries, not sure what it would be with state of the art medicine. Hope we never find out.

Unfortunately, this one does't fit an existing model; we're learning as it evolves, making it hard to project an ultimate outcome

DF