I think it was in the year 2,013 that I first started "itching" for a Varmint Rifle in the then newish 17 Hornady Hornet cartridge.
Then a bit later, as the itch intensified, I decided I could only get relief by finding a Ruger Model 77/17 Hornet in their "Varmint" version with the 24" heavier barrel and flush fitting rotary magazine.
By then a few of my friends had found savage Rifles in this caliber and a few in the handsome CZ line - and all raved about the accuracy.
So my search intensified - but was compounded by my being a VERY frugal shopper.
Well just a few days ago I finally found a mint condition Ruger 77/17 Hornet with the laminated stock and heavy barrel.
This morning I mounted a Weaver 4x16 variable scope with the fine crosshairs and fine dot reticle onto it and bore sighted it.
Yesterday I bought a "box" of Hornady 17 Hornet ammunition with the 20 grain V-Max bullet.
When the wind quits I will "sight it in" and fireform some of the Hornady brass in doing so.
My question to you all is which bullet/loading are you finding good accuracy with?
My plan with this Rifle and the Weaver fine dot scope reticle is to use it 98% on Ground Squirrels and Prairie Dogs.
I have several boxes of the wonderfully accurate Berger 25 grain bullets on hand but that may be "over-taxing" the tiny case?
Any and all input on loading the 17 Hornady Hornet would be greatly appreciated.
The "latest" edition of Hornady reloading books on my shelf does NOT have the 17 Hornady Hornet information in it.
So again, thanks for any input.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy