RickyBobby: I also bought one of the heavy barrel Ruger 77/22 Hornets "long ago" and I had trouble getting it to shoot well!
That was not surprising to me as virtually EVERY 22 Hornet Rifle I have owned has shot poorly/not well (including an Anschutz and several others!)!
I am so happy your 22 Hornet is working so well for you.
Enjoy that "Hornet" for the duration!
My local gun shop has a very nice Ruger 77/22 Hornt in the walnut stocked sporter weight barrel version and I have been so tempted to buy it - it's in 97% condition and its on consignment sale at $550.00.
I am not sure how many magazines come with it - but again it has pretty nice wood and is cool looking.
I have a scope all picked out and set aside for this shiny blued Ruger Rifle (Leupold 2x7 variable).
I even have a left over set of 22 Hornet dies from one of my previous Hornets.
I do have a Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet and after several years of on and off handloading I finally got it to shoot "fairly"!
It has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it and every once in a while I take it out and bag some Ground Squirrels/Prairie Dogs with it.
I say give the 17 Hornet a try - the 17's are sure fun for me (both the centerfires and the rimfires).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy