Fireball2: I am still waiting for "calm air"!
Wish you could have kept that accurate 17 Ackley Hornet!
Speaking of 22 Hornets though - I have had THE worst luck in obtaining accuracy with Rifles in this caliber.
I mean I went through maybe ten Rifles in that caliber and never obtained GOOD accuracy from any of them.
I tried a couple of Winchester Model 43's, a couple of pre-64 Winchester Model 70's, an Anschutz, a couple of Ruger 77's in 22 Hornet and a couple of Ruger #1's in 22 Hornet!
Never shot/owned one that pleased me.
The closest I have come to "pleasing" accuracy is the current Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet that I own. It has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it and after several years of load development I finally got it to shoot fair/mediocre by switching to NICKEL plated brass! It will now shoot a five shot group at 100 yards in the mid and upper NINES (.950"+!).
If it did not have such beautiful wood on it I would have sold this Hornet also.
Looking back on 40+ years of on and off chasing" accuracy with many and varied 22 Hornet Rifles - I think my lack of success has/had to do with "neck tension" somehow - thus the improvement with the nickel plated brass?
Thanks for the words of encouragement - I needed them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy