Fireball2: Pardon my slow reply I had to watch my favorite "documentary" on TV "Montana On My Mind"!
Are you talking Ruger 77/17 Hornet or 77/22 Hornet?
I paid $600 cash for my mint condition Ruger 77/17 Hornet last week and consider that a GREAT buy! I have been looking for a Ruger 77/17 Hornet and trying to get a deal on one for many years now.
If that Rifle you saw in Grants Pass was a new 77/17 Hornet Rifle or in mint condition then that price "I" would consider to be full bore and I would not pay that.
Certain (most?) of the Ruger 77 rimfire line and the ones in 44 Magnum, 17 HMR, 357 Magnum, 17 WSM, 22 Magnum, 17 Hornet and 22 L.R. just command high prices! Often more than what they sold new for 5 - 10 years ago.
My LGS has a near mint, used, Ruger 77 in 22 Hornet with the walnut checkered stock and blued finish for $550.00 - I would have bought it when it came on the shelf last Friday - but I was flat broke.
If I can come up with the dollars I'll buy it next week and re-sell it in a more populous area for $100.00 profit!
Yeah the current values of many of the Ruger 77 rimfire and rare rotary magazined calibers is STRONG!
Hope you enjoyed the gunshow - the ones I have been to so far this year (in three states) have been just "smokin"!
Praying for calm air here tomorrow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy