Utah708: Okay..... but I still contend I have a BUNCH of Ruger in a BUNCH of calibers and not a single one of them has a muzzle crown anywhere near what your Rifle has!
With your contention then the previous owner of the Ruger 77/22 bought it and used it as a 22 L.R. when in actuality it is MOST LIKELY a 17 Mach2 and said previous owner (owners!) which also includes the shop owner "knowingly over-looked the miss-chambering and miss-barrel size? Something does not fit here?
I do so hope the Ruger folks will make your Rifle "come back" to you to your saitisfaction.
Keep us informed.
I am sticking with "bubba" doing/did a barrel re-lining til I see written proof (from Ruger!) that it was miss-chambered, miss-marked as to caliber and miss-barrel reamed and miss-barrel rifled into a 17 Mach2.
The fact the barrel is "screwed" into the receiver is clue number one for me - you may wish to disregard this fact but "someone" has bubba'd this once nifty Rifle.
In other words you are pinning your hopes on the scenario where "bubba" took the miss-made 22 L.R. barrel off without sending it back to Ruger and then "worked on it" (threaded the receiver and the miss-marked miss-made barrel of a gun he bought as a 22 L.R. and in actuality was/is a 17 Mach2) and then for some reason sold said bubba'd, miss-marked Rifle to someone, who may have been the gunshop in question and they then "innocently" sold it to you - lot of ongoing if's and but's and lapses of responsibility here!
To many in fact.
Again best of luck to you!
I hope the folks at Ruger disregard the obvious and for some reason makes the altered Rifle "regular" for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy