Hi guys.
I have an 03 made by Remington, Barreled action that was sporterized by grandfather in the original 30-06 chambering. Serial number is in the 3millions. The barrel is marked with a date of 03/1942 at the very front right where the front site was cut off. It was then passed down to my uncle, and then to me. The barrel is shot out on it. In it's time it was holding sub 1" groups scoped. Now it barely hits a paper plate. I'd like to rebarrel this gun in 284 Win. I've read so many posts on here about doing the 284 in all types of action except the 03. I'm going to ER Shaw do the work. I handload and I like things that aren't the norm. I've read the best way to go to be able to shoot the long for caliber 7mm bullets is to gi with the long action. This is going to be a dual purpose gun 25-26 inch barrel with a heavy sporter barrel. It'll be a deer/black bear and possible elk gun, but id also like to be able to shoot local matches with it. But just to have fun. My main goal is to use it as a long range deer gun. I've heard and read stories of the rebated 284 not feeding correctly is some actions. Has anyone done a rebated rim case build on an 03 that would have any experience with this?

I know I'm going to hear all kinds of stuff about the 280, and 280AI, but I'm pretty dead set on the 284.

One last question is should I ask for any freebore. I understand it going on a long action and can set the 160gr+ bullets out far enough in the magazine, but will I need more freebore to accommodate that.?

If the 284 is ruled out because of my action, 338-06 is a possible backup. But my hope for my first custom is to be a 284. The action has been professionally worked and is super smooth. It also has a very nice Timiney installed. It's also drilled and tapped and still has what look to be Warne bases. I appreciate all the feedback, but as i first mentioned my main concern is feeding issue.

Thanks in advance.
Craig