I don't disagree with what any of you guys are saying. But the upside to doing the 284 in a long action, is the added benefit of being able to seat heavy long for caliber bullets in the mag, with a lil freebore if necessary. I have nothing against the 270, I own one. And I love the 7mm caliber of the 284 Win and 280 Rem. It's just that I like to be a little different. I know nobody personally that has a 284 Win, and I like to be that guy that is different. Everyone at deer camp has a 30-06, 270 "I own both". They also have the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem. I'm the guy that wants to be different. I had a 6.5 Creed when they first came out because it was different, now everyone has one, or more lol. The 284 is a more efficient cartridge than most,and to be honest, I'm really set on it. So I'm really glad guys aren't having feeding issues in an 03 action.

My next question is where to find a decent or I should say really nice Walnut sporter stock? I've bought a few Boyd's Laminate stocks for two different guns and have no complaints at all. I made a Savage 340 Bolt Action 30-30 come back to life and love that little gun. But I've never been impressed with their solid walnut stocks. I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit for a 270 Win build I was doing. I called several times and got answers like it was on the line right now and should be a couple of weeks yet and never received the stock. Called a few weeks later and they magically said they never received my order. They never even billed me. So I don't know what happened there. As mentioned before this gun is to be an heirloom that I keep passing down so I want it to be a functional good looking gun. But, my pockets aren't super deep.