Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
You are talking 2 totally different guns. The Winchester is generally thought of as being for 30-30 etc. the 1894 marlin for pistol cartridges. The marlin 1894. Will feel easier to lever and a bit handier at least the 1894c. But the Winchester 94 is only 2 oz heavier and you are shooting 30-30. Way more horsepower. I prefer both the above guns over the marlin 336 by quite a bit

Way more power..yeah right the 45 Colt was never meant to be a 150 yard cartridge, can it be sure though it is meant as a pistol round first and foremost. Does it excel in a 20" barrel out to 100 yards sure it does. I own a dozen of both calibers shoot approx.3000 rounds a month out of both calibers the 45 Colt at practical 45 Colt ranges will knock the snot out of a 30-30. ? would you call a 12 ga shotgun a poor option against a 30-30 at shotgun normal use ranges? Can they be scoped and kill out to 200 yards sure they can but a slug shotgun was meant to be used at 75 yards maybe 100.
A 30-30 is a fine cartridge but is it meant to be so at <200 yards but when compared to say a 30-06, no it is not.
The appeal of a pistol cartridge in a 20" barrel to most guys that want a hunting round is a powerful short range deer/hog rifle, not one to compete at distances outside that.
I would hazard I guess I put more rounds out of both a 45 Colt and a 30-30 than anyone posting on this forum month in and month out for several years now. They are both fine at what they are meant for both fail at the fringe of their purpose, to claim WAY MORE POWER is just that a claim. Quoting printed ballistics is not the same as using proper bullets for the intent of each ,i.e. load up a .458 soft lead bullet into a .458 WM then claiming it is better than a .458 hard cast from a 45-70 when used for hunting buffalo is an example.

Not saying one is better than another just different uses. I have both myself. Depends on my mood as to which I shoot