Originally Posted by High_Noon
cumminscowboy: Are those Fiocchis .38s? How do you like that Skinner sight, they look interesting? Whatever I end up with will certain get slicked up. & I don’t have any experience with big loops as I’ve only used standards in the past. A buddy has a ported Marlin .45-70.

there really isn't a reason to shoot .38's IMO recoil is a non issue, I am not even sure they would cycle right. I shoot the 148 fiocchi fractory stuff because it shoots decent and is cheap. I tested probably 10 different factory ammos. I really would rather be shooting 125's just for the extra speed. My gun really doesn't like anything under 140 grains. it shoots best with 158's actually.

as for the skinner sight. its boss on a target that isn't moveing. I really like it. its cleaner than the williams. the williams sights mount on the left side and when I bring them up I have to remind myself of that stuff hanging off the left and it takes a split second for me to say to myself, its straight. The skinner is centered on the top. not and issue. I am not sure however if I like the skinner setup quite yet on moving jack rabbits in the sage. I think I like the factory sight possibly better. We had something kill most of the jack rabbits in our entire region for hundreds of miles, so I didn't get to use the skinner sights on rabbits much on them this year. I recommend getting the bear buster front sight if you can,

these guns are flat out a riot to shoot. They aren't very popular around me because everyone wants something that shoot a long ways. winchester 94's are very rare here even though they were invested 50 miles from me. its pretty rare to see used '94's or 336's even. The old timers knew how to make a practical gun. For off hand shooting at off hand distances is flat out dang near impossible to beat a traditional lever action. its also why the 30-30 got it done so well. it shines in that use. its just a friggen simple setup. I have 2 of these belts that hold 40 rounds, I just grab the belt and the gun and head out the door. Throw it over my shoulder bandoleer style and people laugh, it looks like I am ready for battle but the reality is its insanely functional. just pluck out the cases and keep the gun topped as I blast rabbits, rocks, can's squirrels etc. its a walking plinker. I also use another identical belt and keep it loaded up with 30-30, it carries those cases just fine as well. https://www.buffaloarms.com/leather...t-38-cal-extra-large-43-48-waist-olp7513

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 03/22/20.