Thanks for all the replies, fellas. I’m mainly looking for a carryin’ around, general blaster that’s fun to shoot. I’ll probably use it for blastin’ hogs, the occasional varmint – the 2 & 4 legged varieties, plinking and maybe the occasional short-range white-tail.

Also, what’s the skinny on the micro-groove vs. the cut rifling?

WStrayer: Simple take-down is certainly desirable, but not a deal breaker.

willycc: I’ll take a look at the Win 92s.

winchester70: I found a Marlin 1894S Trapper w a 16” barrel in very good condition It’s very tempting & yep a 39 has been on my list for a while.
Originally Posted by winchester70
I prefer my pistol caliber carbines with 16" barrels, so mine are Winchesters. 357 and 44.D.

Why do you like 16” barrels for pistol calibers and why the Winchester over Marlin?

tikkanut: Yep, I’ve read that slicking up a Marlin action is a relatively simple DIY process, in fact, it may have been you that posted an article entitled “Tuning Marlin Lever Actions.”

I also really liked the photo you posted of your .45 Colt Marlin ‘94 w/ the 16” barrel - the one you had worked over by Ranger Point Precision, which is why I like Marlin 1894S Trapper 16" Barrel in .45 Colt I found so much, but it has the round barrel rather than the octagon barrel I’d prefer and I’m not sure if the $750.00 asking price is reasonable.

WStrayer: I’m not a big fan of the pistol grip, but thanks.

rem141r: Good to know. My eyes aren’t what they used to be, but I can still use iron sights reliably.

cumminscowboy: Thanks for the info.

Hectortwsp: I found a Marlin 1894 Cowboy w/ a 24” octagon barrel, which is rather nice.

HawkCreek: Thanks.

Vic_in_Va: Good info. Thanks.

JFE: Was this the case with pre “Remlin” rifles?

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/21/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue