Originally Posted by sse

i saw another ICU dr on Fox last night who didn't seem nearly as clear cut about the key issues, but he honestly looked a little shell-shocked

I'm sure he did.

These guys are getting pounded. Running an ICU under normal conditions is a highly stressful job. Throw in epidemic disease and it's gonna be a s h i t show. I was an ICU resident back in 1992 when we had a meningitis outbreak in my city. I have rarely worked with such intensity in my life. I had a great time as a resident (basically an enlisted man, metaphorically speaking) and learned a heck of a lot in the process. But the intensivists in charge (the officers, to extend the metaphor) looked like he'd been in a war zone by the end of each week of rotation.

Some people handle stress better than others. Some people break down, some persevere. The TeeVee Fearmongers--I mean broadcast journalists--don't want interviews with the folks who are coping well. They want drama, they want quotable quotes, they want blood on the walls or the nearest to that they can get.

Fecking news people. They made this mess. They should be forced to pay for the cleanup.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars