Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dan,

Even the AMP (Annealing Made Perfect) electric annealing machine, can overdo it. When I tested one, they had a list of cartridges/manufacturers with the digital settings. I had some .30-06 cases from a manufacturer they listed, and it over-annealed those, which required a couple firings before they returned to normal. The problem is 2-fold, because even brass from specific manufacturers varies from lot-to-lot; and quite a few major manufacturers make brass for each other. This may seem odd, but it happens far more often than many handloaders suspect.

It was no big deal, but even with the AMP (which retails for over $1000) there can be some tweaking involved in specific brass.

The AMP's have gone up in price, the machine is $1395 plus pilots and extras you will need, an easy $1500

I have been using the salt bath method for 2 years now and prefer it over torch methods, The only down side to salt bath that I have found is that your cases must be very clean to keep from contaminating the salt. vibratory tumbling does very little to clean inside the case so cases must be rotary tumbled and dried prior to annealing then rinsed and dried again after annealing