I haven’t had failures with either but my preference is welded, all other things being equal. Rivets have a natural tendency to start working (wearing out and moving), which can bring on leaks and corrosion between the parts that are riveted together. And one rivet starts working, it’s just a matter of time until the ones next to it start as well and so on. I guess that’s not a huge problem if you stay on top of it and know how to remove and replace rivets, but there is no denying that welds, again, all other things equal, are stronger bonds than rivets.

Cost may be a consideration though. Our old 1970’s Model Ouchita Jon boat leaks like a sieve, but she’s still great getting back into creeks 40 or 50 years after she was made. I have a G3 Bay 18 DLX. Welded hull. That boat has been very solid and dependable on my home lake which has plenty of chop, wind and dumbasses on ski boats and jet skis in the summer.

And I’m sorry, but if a person willingly and happily rides a jet ski and they’re over the age of 23, they’re a jackass.