Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by flintlocke
In 24 years of ocean service, crabbing in December also, my old riveted Starcraft has never had a loose rivet. The Pacific Coast north of Cape Mendocino and south of Coos Head is not very pacific. The access to open ocean is over bars. The Rogue River bar at Gold Beach is legendary. The Starcrafts are the proven boats, I believe of the Walleye fisherman on the Great Lakes which I believe blows up as steep and quick as any water in North America.
The technology of tig welding has improved over the years, but I am not aware of any welded aircraft, I personally have ridden tens of thousands of miles in Alaska and the Aleutians in my company's DC-3, it was 50 years old when they bought it.
Finally. Someone gets it. Tip of the hat sir...

Wrong

The reason for a riveted hull over a welded comes down to weight. If you want or need a light boat you go with a riveted hull, if weight isn't a factor and you want less worries you go welded. Edit: Second reason for a lot of people is price. A riveted hull is cheaper in general terms.

Aircraft structures are not welded because of load distribution. A weld the load is all in one place directly on the weld. A riveted (to include all fastener types) structure transfers the load to the entire structure. Seams are overlapped and in most cases terminate at a Bulkhead, Longerons, strings, stiffeners, and other heavy aircraft fittings. Show me a cargo ship that isn't welded!

All fasteners loosen over time from both load and temperature changes. Boat hull rivets absolutely loosen and leak!

You got that 1/2 right, does that make yu 1/2 wrong?

It is 100% right. I could have given more details as to other reasons fasteners are used over welds but really no need to. But yes I did leave out that welds add a lot of weight to the aircraft. A normal rivet pitch of AD rivets weights a fraction of a weld. Even Hi-Loks weight less than a weld would. Fasteners are removable and replaceable. Though most do not properly replace working rivets. Some will try to buck them more, others will remove and replace with the same nominal size. When they should be going one over, so a repair rivet is the proper way to go about it. Unless of course the hole is a full size or close enough to step up to the next nominal. Another factor is in some places shear or Tension fasteners are required. But that is getting way into things.

Bottom line is a welded Aluminum Hull is a better route unless weight is a deciding factor.

The edit helped, good for you, not all fasteners loosen, not all riveted boats will leak, welded is great but besides weight price is a factor, glad i could clear this up for you

You might want to reread what I wrote as I said " A riveted hull is cheaper in general terms."

Yes all fasteners will loosen and or work given the time and loads being applied. I have seen them all and replaced them all. From DD's, E, Hucks, Hi-Loks, you name it they will work over time. Yes all riveted hulls will leak. Metal expands and contracts with temperature period! That will create enough to allow water to seep.

You cleared nothing up. Welded Hull Trumps Riveted Hull in everything except weight and price.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.