Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

And in the real world you might have to mix and match, such as firing a fast string at 5 yards, followed up with a head shot at 15 or 20 yards. How many practice that kind of a transition?

That's where the gun games help, as you know.

Some, but the rules build in some bad habits too. Be careful how much you rely on gun games to teach/train gunfighting skills. Fight-focused training/practice/whatever you want to call it is very different than competition. But yes, there are some shooting skills that competition is good for developing, like you said.

My main point here is that carrying a pistol is about being prepared for a fight; it's not about scores or rules or planning how to shoot a stage. Shooting is only a small part of that fight-ready mindset; too many guys get overly focused on shooting and neglect the rest of it.

I agree, gun games have some benefit, but many things required in gun games will get you killed in a real fight. I especially dislike what using cover/and concealment looks like in IDPA. But, since I’m not gonna win anyway, I shoot the scenarios more tactically sound and just eat the penalties.