Perhaps we should start a dedicated "Tool" forum. My Drill Bit thread and this one might be a good starting point...

I'm going to make a small kitchen table and a Bud in OR is sending me a slab of Fiddleback Maple ~ 40"x25"x2". I'm gonna need to smooth and flatten it a bit since he cut the slab w/ an Alaskan mill, but I will leave the "live" edges.

I don't know much about wood planes, and I've never really had any success operating one, but I understand that the old Stanley planes are highly regarded and they can readily be found on fleabay, but they're expensive. There are many types planes and if I wanted to start with 2 of them, what would be the best type(s)/brand to start with and do y'all have any tips for how to run one effectively? Yes, I'm aware they need to be sharp.

Or should I build a router box and have at it that way?

EDIT: In regard to finish, should I use straight Mineral Oil or BLO? I don't really want to use a stain, varnish or Poly. I want it to have a more natural appearance, but one that is easily maintainable and reasonably stain-resistant.

Thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/05/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue