Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Rooster7
As some of you know, my Mom has been dealing with cancer and didn't want to go through radiation but eventually did. She finished up not long ago and has a mouth and tongue full of sores and an extreme sore throat. The only thing she can eat is Cream of Wheat and drink protein drinks and is losing weight she can't afford to lose.

Due to her weak immune system, I have chastised my niece and sisters for going there to visit because of this virus to the point they have stopped.

Well, now my Mom is falling into a pretty deep state of depression from the hunger, pain and loneliness so I took the day off and am going to go there, make and blend her up a nutritional hotdish (casserole) that she can hopefully eat.

I'm also going to bring them a box of about 30 DVD movies and a TV that has a DVD player in it to watch upstairs where they can see sunlight instead of the TV room in the basement.

I will sanitize everything I touch and wear a mask and gloves and pray that I have not been exposed since I'm still working everyday.

Wish us luck!

I've been through the radiation stuff in the face before. Tell her that the discomfort in her mouth will clear up very soon after the radiation treatments cease and her taste will return to normal.

I know your intent is good. But right now her taste buds are so out of whack that anything with any type of flavor is going to cause a very uncomfortable metallic sensation in her mouth. That's as close as I can come to describing it.

I lost about 30 pounds when I went through it. Not because I didn't have an appetite,..I was hungry as hell. It was just that most foods caused such an unpleasant sensation in my mouth that I refused to eat them.

I found that cold, green peas eaten straight from the can was tolerable,...as were vienna sausages and cold, unseasoned rice. I would also eat a half of a large, cold watermelon every day because it soothed the inside of my mouth. I know watermelons are out of season right now. I don't know if you could find one anywhere. But you might shop around.Vanilla milk shakes are also tolerable and will help to keep her weight on her until food tastes good again.

Anyway, tell her that it will all pass sooner than she thinks.

Thank you so much, Bristoe.

I will tell my parents about that. My Dad is going through this crap too. Dealing with her impatience, driving her 40 miles each way to appointments, her talk of not wanting to live anymore etc. etc.

It just all around sucks!

But HEY at least we got the Kung Flu floating around!

Thank all of you again for the kind thoughts and prayers. They are truly appreciated.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...