Just last week I ran 5 rounds over the chrono from my 1899 H (made 1913). 20" barrel. Carbine in very good mechanical condition with no head space issues. I used the data published by Hand loader magazine, authored by Terry Wieland. I won't state the powder charge load data (you can look that up online easily). The bullet was 190 Hawk and the brass was once fired Winchester Western. The powder was Hornady's Lever evolution. The carbine averaged 2100 fps in the 5 shot string. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. I did not target the shots so I cannot speak to it's accuracy performance. I will do that when the snow goes away. I am posting this as the Wieland authored data used the Barnes 190. I would imagine the velocity of the Hawk would pretty much be the velocity of the Barnes. Wieland used a 26" rifle in the tests and got even higher velocity. Lever evolution puts the .303 Savage into a higher performance class than the .30-30 by far. The Hand Loader article gives some very good updated data for the 190 grain in the .303 Savage.

Darryl

From the Great White North