What's the rate of twist in the old .303 and .30-30 barrels? I'm assuming it's the standard 1-in-12 twist of my 50's versions in .300 Savage(?)

Some say the 1-in-12 twist is not enough to properly stabilize any bullet over 150 grains. To stabilize heavier bullets you need a tighter twist. For instance, a Remington 760 chambered in .300 Savage has a 1-in-10 twist (or slight tighter in some guns it seems, 1-in-9 more like.) This could be predicted to shoot heavier bullets more consistently.

A 2014 issue of Handloader ran some tests and found the ultimate round for the Savage 99 in .300 Savage was a 150 grain roundnose bullet intended for .30-30 tube magazine lever guns over 42 grains of Varget. They got 0 spread from this one.

Seems the heavier bullets intruding into the case with the .300 do strange things to the pressure curve. Dunno if any of this translates to the .303 or .30-30 - perhaps not in given the longer neck on these cases. I am sure the rate of twist applies. On the other hand, if you are hunting larger game with it you don't need MOA and i'd much rather have a heavier bullet going after elk for instance. I feel somewhat undergunned with a 150 grain bullet when elk are a possibility.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey