Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
I get the fascination with high BC heavy bullets for long range shooting. I get the attraction of smaller cartridges with less recoil. What I don’t get is when a guy uses a rifle for hunting, hunts an area where shots are under 500 yards and sometimes well under that, he feels the need to go to a smaller bore for less recoil and still wants high BC bullets. What is wrong with a .308 with a 130 or even 110 TTSX, or a 125 NBT or Accubond? The larger bore gets more velocity for the weight of the bullet, and thus should shoot flatter and hit harder inside 4-500 yards. Recoil is reduced, trajectory is flattened, and energy is increased.

So why sell a 308 to get a 243 or similar? Why not simply load lightweight bullets in the 308 and roll on? Asking this mostly out of simple curiosity after hearing guys at the LGS trading into smaller bore rifles to get higher BC and less recoil, here where a shot over 300 yards is a rarity. Is there.a good reason for this, or is it just loonyism?

Yahtzee!

I've a number of rifles but will zero my Kimber MT .308 today with Federal # V308VM110; a Hornady 110 grain V-Max at a purported 3,300 fps. It's got a Aimpoint Comp M2 on top. Ima zero it at 50 yards and should effectively zap any critter that's looks bigger than the 2MOA dot inside 250 yards.

We got armadillos here now, so hoping to mist a few soon. I believe that load might bisect a younger coyote at woods ranges.

I got a 40 acre wooded place and most shots are less than 50 yards, but have several neighbors who have big fields that have coyote traipsing at times, and hang out in my creek bottom.

P.S. Stick, if I'm not on foot, I'll have my .260 CTR w an MQ Farker on top in truck or on ATV in case real precision needed.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]