I saw that other day when Barry posted the article. I can’t really say, but it looks like after they shortened the bbl they installed a Springfield 1903 front sight on it. Ive seen that done on a lot of different guns. Also has one of the correct carbine rear sights. Can’t really see the buttstock so I too, looked for the saddle ring. Wonder of they just removed it and filled the hole? Who knows? Bit there were plenty of old smiths back in the say that would do all kinda of work for you here. Looks like the bbl is about 2" shorter than std carbine. Just a guess. Make it about 20" bbl. anyway an interestimg old carbine. Probaby rusting in someones closet right now.

My question is where are they?? That’s a granite monument behind them. I do not recognize it. Standing next to Hamer is W W Sterling. This might have been about the time he was adjudant general of Texas.

Also notice Hamer is holding a Model 8 and Sterling has what looks like 30/06 ctgs in his ammo belt. They don’t look like 30 Army.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/24/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS