Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Just because you are a police officer doesn’t automatically make you a good shot.

Indeed.

Have any of you shot with LEO and your local range. Even in a non-stressed range environment, not great, in fact often times scary.

Oh, and the, "It cost money to train these officers, money we don't have" - "We can't afford to go practice shooting on our own dime" it all bull schit.

If you are going to carry a firearm, learn how to use it and use it well, otherwise don't carry one.

No, it is not BS. Range days take quite a bit to put together in terms of manhours, cost and logistics. And that's certainly not the only discipline officers need continuing education/training in. Arguably not even the most important. We expect cops to be really good at a lot of very different things. To get really good takes a LOT of training time. Training takes time and it takes money. Remember that for each officer in training another officer has to cover their beat.

You are an attorney, yes?
Did you get paid by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

No I am not an attorney.

OK.

Did you get payed by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

I am retired Coast Guard. I am a human. Nobody has any right to expect perfection out of me. They have every right to expect excellence, and I strived to deliver that. Our organization was intensely focused on training and our operational tempo allowed for it. Even with that, as a multi-mission agency, we couldn't deliver excellence in every conceivable arena with every member of our organization.

If you enter in to the discussion with the understanding of the pool of employees you have, then go from there, it helps. I live in NOLA. What kind of pool of candidates do you think are standing in line to do police work here for $45,000 per year.