Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Those officers might have life to live on their own time even if a range is available.
You're missing the point. If a "civilian" with his own full time job and everyday life responsibilities can find the time and the money to practice shooting on their own, why shouldn't a cop, whose life (or others) may depend on it, be able to?

I get that point. I also get reality. Reality is that few people I know in any profession work in their own time to get better at their profession. A cop with a wife that works and kids may not have much of a life at all at home. Let me again point to the pool of candidates. How many of those do you think are capable of mastery of every aspect of their job and can achieve that mastery independently. Frankly, I am not very good at independent learning. I do much better in a classroom or master/apprentice relationship.

We are focused largely on the gun here. In terms of legal liability, what would you suspect the largest legal liabilities are for enforcement agencies? When you start parsing that out you can better understand the complexities of comprehensive training and why self-training is normally not practicable.