Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Off topic but...

Any tips on buying local pasture raised that WON'T taste like dirt? The meat we've got is OK but the fat tastes like dirt. This is from local farms in GA claiming grass fed and grain finished. If you're the Worcestershire well done steak sauce type that is OK, but not for me. That's why I trim fat off venison.

We have the same issue here with local producers. Unless the burger is cooked/burned to "well", I can't eat it. A local restaurant serves it in their burgers so I have to order a chicken sandwich.
This "grass fed " label is a marketing stunt. What the hell do the other cows eat?......sawdust? A few years ago, we had a f___ton of moose meat to process so we took the burger to a local shop
with a great reputation and they took the liberty of grinding 10% of their local beef fat into our burger. They ruined several hundred pounds of good moose meat.

Local farmers grow barley successfully.....is that good for fattening a beef and if so, how long should they be on the barley? No corn here and very little oats.