Originally Posted by BobMt

..am looking for a whole, finished to a prime level..

Getting to prime beef depends a lot on the breed more than the feed. I don't know what Jim is feeding out, but he might have something that will make it fairly easily. It also depends a lot of frame size, beef that grows really large frames take much longer to reach a prime level than a smaller framed beef. I'd try to find a RED Angus or Shorthorn as these are smaller framed cattle that put on weight really well and have highly marbled meat. Also realize that you're going to have to feed the beef longer than normal so expect paying a premium to get to prime.

Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Off topic but...

Any tips on buying local pasture raised that WON'T taste like dirt? This is from local farms in GA claiming grass fed and grain finished.

As a young man Dad fed out a few steers on onion tops one year, kept one to eat and said it smelled like frying onions every time he cooked any of it. You need to find out what they finish the cattle on for grain and/or keep them completely off the grass they're eating. This is what's putting the flavor in the meat.

Originally Posted by ro1459
Three of us are sharing the estimated 500 pounds of meat.

What is the live weight? If it's in the 1200 lb live weight range you should be close. You loose about 40% live to hanging weight, and then you'll loose some more weight in the trim. Packaged beef usually weighs in around 40% of live weight.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

We bought a grinder mixer. OMC 430 model. Sight unseen....but from the pictures it looks new almost.

In reading this morning...you do not want to grind the grain too fine or you will cause sickness. Also, fine ground barley cant be fed at the same rate as dry rolled.

However...if we use the largest screen (1 inch) and go slow....its supposed to be fine.

Hope so! Might not be ideal, but probably a more versatile machine. Especially for hogs and chickens and such.

Barry, we struggle with it being too cold up here for feeding cattle. We dont have near the heat and humidity problems you guys have.

It is really hard to fatten at 30 below. Maintain body condition is possible, but gain is difficult.

Hey Jim I grew up feeding cattle ground milo, wheat, oats, and barley, and you're correct it just needs to be cracked/rolled for cattle. However, you'll get some fines still in the mix and I wouldn't worry too much about it. A simple roller would have been better, but the grinder mixer is more versatile. You can add in trace minerals, salts, and other sources of proteins to help get your cattle to grow.

Too cold or too hot slows down gains with animals that is for sure. You should be able to pack on some pounds now as you're not as hot. Cattle gain the best in cool weather.

We have about another 75 days to go before fair (if it happens) with Waylon and Willie here (Daughter's FFA project). However, we're already in the mid 90's a lot and we'll hit 100+ before too long. We will more than likely loose our A$$ on these guys because of the market, but not as many as other kids that spend a lot more for their cattle, feed, and keeping them in a cool room than we did. Since the lock down we've just been feeding straight rolled corn, sorghum hay, and trace minerals just to keep the costs down.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

BTW they'll be for sale and will deliver up to 200 miles from La Junta Colorado to processor of choice if the fair doesn't happen. Hit me up mid Aug to Sept.