Been tracing the tree back ever since I retired. I already knew a lot from listening to my grandparents when I was young. Ancestry.Com has verified a lot of what I heard. I'm a 50/50 German-Scottish mix. German side, my mom's grandparents, all got here in 1881, from a tiny Bavarian village and 1883, from the Alsace- Lorraine area. Dad's father came here from Scotland in 1914 to work, joined the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in April 1917, fought in WW 1 and married his old girlfriend in Dundee Scotland on his way home after the war, brought her here and had my dad and two girls. Also learned a lot about some ancestors that I only knew tiny bits & pieces about. Like some guy way back in the family tree who had been a harbor pilot on the River Tay and the harbor of Dundee Scotland. That was all I knew. Now I know his name, and that he was my paternal grandmothers grandfather on her mothers side; which makes him my great, great grandfather. Worked until he was in his 90's, and died in 1925 at age 97. It was neat confirming a lot of oral history that i had heard about him and others. We all have interesting family histories but so much of it gets lost over the years as memories fade and people die off.