Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Been fooling with it for a while. Traced one side to the middle ages in western Europe. We have a little French from Louis Durant, a trapper that came down the Mississippi from Canada and married a Choctaw lady and lived in Mississippi. Both of my Grandparents on my mother's side were on the original Dawes Rolls.
The best ancestry information is the "FREE" https://www.familysearch.org/en/ maintained by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Start building your tree and their software will eventually fill in and build it for you.

Thanks for posting that link Butch!
Since Mom passed away two years ago I had been trying to do some research on her father’s side of the family.
I signed up for that site and the Mormons had tons of information.
I was able to trace her father’s side of the family back to Switzerland in the 1500s where I found that they were winemakers in the lake Geneva area. One of them I found out was a captain in Napoleons army. They then moved to Germany. And then landed in America, via Philadelphia, and settled in Pennsylvania in the early 1700s were they fought in the American revolution, then moved down to Georgia via South Carolina where they fault in the Civil War on the Southern side. And then came to Texas in the 1870s. Was able to trace my great great grandfather’s grave which is only about 70 miles south of here where I suspected it was. Even found a photo of his tombstone online. I will be visiting soon.
I always thought they were Germans, as their last name was Whisenhunt. They had changed it from Visinand when they came to America!

I knew about my Scotch / Irish / English / and Dutch descendants on Dad’s side, and my Irish /Cherokee/ Comanche heritage from Mom’s Mother’s side, but never new I had any Swiss heritage until today!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/23/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~