Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by aalf

Cartridges aside, a good coyote rifle is not the same as a good prairie dog rifle, and vice versa......

Aalf, can you elaborate on this? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Originally Posted by TRnCO
generally when one thinks of prairie dogs, high volume shooting comes to mind. Neither the 22-250 or the creed fit that bill. Smaller cases work much better for prairie dog shooting, if one wants to whackem as fast as you can see em without cookin a barrel in short order.

This in a nutshell ^^^^^

With PD guns, weight is your friend, for spotting shots and less accumulated recoil in a full day of shooting. Performance is not as critical, miss, shoot again, and again, and again..... grin You can argue cartridges and ballistics till you're blue in the face, but in the end a 223 is hard to ignore......the more the merrier.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Unless you hunt coyotes 10 yards from the truck, I prefer a lighter, sporter style rifle for packing and shooting, with performance a real consideration, and barrel life a lesser concern. Under eight pounds if possible, but a couple of favorites go a little over, in the interest of bullet proof glass, rings, and bases.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]