Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Neither MT nor AK has a problem with transfers sans paperwork. Suggesting there is anything wrong there is ridiculous. Adding the family element crosses a whole new level...

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State? Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides...
ATF - Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questionsand Answers

I believe the issue of what constitutes a transfer came up most recently regarding loaning guns. I beleive there is an ATF ruling published but that was some time ago. It has become irrelevant to me and ran out my ears to make room for more trivia. Went something like OK to lend at a trap range because the owner has control over the firearm. Compare loaning a firearm to a guy who goes to hunt somewhere away from you.

Disclaimer: I once made a declarative statement. The prof said, "How do you know?" I said, "I remember reading it." He ended the matter when he said, "How do you know you've remember correctly?" So rely at your own risk. Why lawyers do research. write briefs, and charge money.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.