About 16 years ago, my Dad stopped by the house on his way through headed to Idaho. I was going through a really bad stretch in life. In fact, a half hour before he arrived at the house, my wife at the time had just filed for divorce. I didn’t bring up that she filed with him - I wanted him to enjoy his evening with my daughters who thought the world of him. They were 5 and 6 at the time.

He told me to make every day count. Don’t piss them away. Drink good coffee. Drink good beer - but don’t drink too much. Enjoy my kids and life. Enjoy each sunrise. Because you only live about 30,000 days. I asked him where he got that number. He said easy. Math. 80 years times say 400 days per year. So figure 30,000. That’s 30,000 dinners. So don’t piss away life.

The next morning, He told me he loved me, and he’d see me on his way back through town. He left my house and was killed about 5 hours later in a car crash. He was forced off the road when someone tried to pass on a double yellow no passing zone.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad