I've had my SD for almost 6 years and never checked the spare. its one of those things i always said i need to do but always forgot. well i got my first flat the other day and went to use the spare. luckily i was in my driveway. apparently Ford thinks these spares are worth locking up. they have a "key" which is like a socket with a soda machine key on the end. its supposed to be in the glove box. well mine wasn't and i am 99% sure never was because i would have seen something like that for sure. theres a little jar of touchup paint and a manual for every other friggen thing in there but no key for the spare. so i call ford and they said they need the VIN and $107 for this f ucken thing they didn't give me with my $40k truck. i argued with them and they agreed to give it to me for cost, which was $56 bucks. about $51 more than its worth. so i get the thing and am able to crank the spare down and live happily ever after. but, if you have a Ford truck, you ougtta check it out before you really need it.

My diploma is a DD214