Originally Posted by rickt300
Antelope seem to be one of those animals that you really need to keep your bullets out of the eating meat. Seems whatever you use if you hit shoulders high you will lose a lot of meat.

Yep. I was told when I was young to keep the bullet off of the shoulders. They already don't have a lot of meat on them, and my family like to eat antelope. I was also told that antelope run for a ways when shot well. It hasn't ever been a problem, given the open country. I haven't been after antelope for several years, but only one out of the dozen or so I've shot or seen shot dropped at the shot (through the ribs, top of heart, double-lung with a 243 and Remington yellow box). My step-brother's first antelope was hit low in the chest, squaring up and pulverizing the heart from about 175 yds with a 243 and Winchester white box. It ran over 400 yds.

Just about any bullet will work just fine, I'm sure. Antelope are thin, so any bullet out of a 308 impacting approximately broadside is going to exit. If I was working up an "antelope" load in 308, I'd pick a soft, rapidly opening 165-168 gr higher-BC bullet because of the likelihood of stiff or varying wind. That's just me. I don't think you could go wrong with ANY pointed, expanding bullet from 110 to 220 grains.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.