Well John You have confirmed my guess. I didn't know when Remington went to thinner jackets, and I had no idea they were farming out the production of the Core-Lokts, but I believe it was a mistake. I bought a BIG stack of 270 caliber 150 grain Round Nose in the early 70s and again I bought 7,000 (I think) of the 30 cals in the late 80s in both 150 and 165 grains. I loved those bullets. Some other brands were a bit more accurate but not enough to worry about for hunting, and I didn't find many that would out-perform them on game.

In 2004 I got 3000 more 150 grain 30 calibers and the jackets were thin. They were not pencil-points, and they looked exactly like the older ones until you cut them in half. The jackets on the new ones were only about 35% to 40% as thick as those on the older ones. Not quite as accurate either. I have killed some game with them, and yes, the deer and antelope died, but the wounds are not as consistent as the old one were and sometimes you get blow-ups and more erratic wound channels (turning off course) then I ever saw with the old Core-Lokt bullets.

Thanks for chiming in here.

It cleared up some questions I had in the back of my mind.

Last edited by szihn; 07/06/20.