I believe there is one best bullet for each cartridge. For the 308 I used the Hornady 165gr flat base spire point/interlock for years and never a complaint. Someone mentioned a 150gr and in a 300 Savage a 140gr bullet, i'd stay away from any bullet under 165 gr. Not that they won't kill but their lack of weight and higher velocity make them more likely to do much more damage that you seem to want to avoid. If I were going to go with something other than a 165gr, I'd go up to 180gr. Keep mass up and velocity down. If I wanted to go to a lighter bullet, I'd also go down in caliber. 150gr bullet I'd drop to a 7mm but not a magnum. Only time I have ever blown up meat in an animal was when I lusted for velocity and ended up using to light of bullet's. I somehow doubt that if you go to monolithic bullet's you'd have the problem or at lest not as bad. All the magic of monolithic bullet's can be overcome by heavier bullet's and lower velocity. I recall a rabbit I hit with a 22 mag years ago in the shoulder with a 40gr bullet, not HP. Completely destroyed the front of the rabbit. Simply to much velocity. Huge downside to higher velocity and lighter bullet. I strongly suspect that even with a monolithic bullet's the lighter for caliber bullet's will ddo more damage for no other reason than the increase in velocity.