I just have an 8x57mm. I would prefer the 8-06 and had thought about building one. But the way I got there was different and pretty well sealed the deal on keeping it as an 8x57. However, It's enough for anything I hunt and real Pig Medicine. Mine is a Yugo 24/47 I had sporterized with the intention of later rebarreling to something like a 6mm Remington. I had envisioned doing a build in 2 steps. First have it sporterized, bolt bent, trigger and safety replaced, new firing pin spring to decrease lock time and while I was at it have the rear sight base removed so I could scope it and use it as an 8x57 in the interim before I proceeded to the second phase of rebarreling.
Only problem was when I shot it, it shot so good I didn't want to change it. 8x57 is such a fine cartridge. So it's still an 8x57 and still has its military stepped barrel. I stuck it in a Boyd's Pepper Laminate stock. I have shot 196 Grain Wolf Premium in it and also had a load worked up for Hornady 150 grain Interlocks. I presently shoot 170 grain Sierra Pro Hunters in it. Right now I have a Leupold made Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 scope on it. It's an accurate smooth shooting rifle and I'll never change it now.

I can see the beauty in the 8mm-06 and I think you have a winner there, especially with heavier bullets.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/07/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!