Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jaguartx: You bring up an excellent point/topic.
What can I feed the birds that is healthy and yet cheaper than what I have to pay for "Songbird Seed" here in remote SW Montana?
I am surmising I spend about $15.00 to $20.00 per month year round for bird seed.
I get that much pleasure and more from the birds, but if I could cut that amount in half, I could buy a lot more ammunition every year.
What the birds "drop" on my lawn below my feeders the Deer and Raccoons clean up very well - no rotting seeds on the ground at all.
The VarmintWife has "Amazon Prime" maybe I will check there and see what they can deliver here - any suggestions are appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I just get cheap chicken scratch from the BiMart up the road. Usually around $10 a 50lb bag. Payback brand I believe. Seems most of the birds prefer the cracked corn and red millet and leave the wheat until everything else is gone.

I force my birds to look elsewhere for food on Thurs and Sunday. They will come through the yard to glean what they can out of the grass and stuff, but have to visit the neighbors' feeders or Ma Nature if they want to fill their crops.

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/11/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?