The 130 gr Speer soft point works very well on deer, one of those over a moderate charge of H-335 has killed a few dozen deer at our camp over the last couple of decades. It is my standard load for kids, women, and those who are adverse to recoil. Mixed in with those has been 150 gr Sierra GK and 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips of the old style but they recoil enough more that it is noticed. I used standard 30/30 data for these.The 130 gr Barnes bullet has also worked well for some of the younger guys in camp though I haven't loaded any myself.

I have about 300 of the Speers loaded up but they are unlikely to get used this year as it appears there will again be no new shooters this year. The last new member is using one of my 8x57s with 150 gr bullets pushed somewhere between 30/30 and 300 Savage velocities. I would consider using a 30/30 next fall but I have plans to use something else. Maybe if a bonus tag for the cabin is issued I'll bring along one of my 30/30sthough there are several other rifles that need to be blooded too.