Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
From what I've read on Contender forums, many times, the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is the darling of the 30-30 shooters. If it works fro ma 14" Contender barrel is should work just as well from a rifle barrel.

I have a 14" contender, and that is the bullet I use. It shoots damn good, group-wise, but I haven't shot any game with it. Every time I get excited about hunting with it, I go to the range and discover how much of a pistol shooter I ain't.

I'm learning more here all the time. This place has got some good info.

My thuty thuty is addicted to 150s and 160s. Do y'all scope those contenders?

Yeah, I do scope mine. I sent it to a gunsmith in OK shortly after I got mine and had him run a throating reamer up into the chamber to recut the throat. Since then, it is a tack-driver that deserves an optic. I've used a 4x handgun EER scope and a 2.5-8 rifle scope. I shot the deer while using the handgun scope, but I shoot better with the rifle scope. I can see easily killing something with the gun at 200-250yds.

Mine is a 1:14, and I have had no problems stabilizing the RCBS version of the cast bullet Gnoahh posted here, as well as a Lee 200gr cast bullet, but both are about 200 grains from my alloy. The best shooting I have done with the gun is with these two cast bullets.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 07/12/20.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.