Back in '92, I spent a year camping in AK. I had several tents and tarps, which ranged from an old canvas Sourdough tent to a North Face VE25. When the weather dictated it, I'd pull out the VE25, which was a great tent and never failed me. I used it extensively until it disappeared - literally.

I had set up the NF somewhere in the Portage Glacier/Valley area and staked it down in a remote location, leaving it empty - everything was locked in the truck. I then went off to hike. When I returned, the tent was gone. I was far from any other people. I don't think someone stole it because, my truck was unmolested and there was no evidence of anyone being there. It was not windy and the tent was staked down - it would have to be a mighty gust indeed to dislodge it. I underwent a perimeter search out to about 3-4 km - nothing. My theory is that a bear stole it... or maybe Bullwinkle happened by, took a shine to it, hooked it, and took it with him. Who the heck knows?

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/12/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue