Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
As a factory chambering, the .220 was pretty much dead.
Then about 1976 Ruger resurrected the round with a limited run of Model 77's. It was successful enough that it became a standard choice in the 77 and the Number 1 rifles. Other manufacturers may have chambered it as well but I'm not certain. I seem to recall a guy with a Savage rifle at my club. Single-shot and I believe it was a Swift.
Now the round seems to have fizzled out again despite a dedicated fan club.
Why so little love for this cartridge now?
My Ruger 77 in .220 Swift was an excellent rifle and a 'chuck killing machine.

I think the rise of polymer tipped bullets has "killed" the Swift. The SAAMI standard rate of twist is 1-14" which limits the Swift to the bullets of old or the very lightest of the new polymer tipped bullets with better B.C.'s. The polymer tipped bullets made cartridges like the 223 Remington which was once considered a 300 yard cartridge on varmints to one which can do 400+ yards. Most varmint hunters don't shoot 400 yards anyway. Also, less recoil, less barrel wear, less muzzle blast and the smaller cartridges still get the job done. Plus for reloaders, you don't have to worry about turning necks like some have to do on a Swift as the brass flows.

BTW, I used to have a Ruger 77 tang safety sporter in 220 Swift. That rifle would clover leaf 40 grain Hornady V-maxes and turn a groundhog's guts inside out. I really loved that gun in my 20's. I also loved the 22-250 Remington. Now I am in mid 40's and I am finally getting around to shooting the 17 and 20 caliber cartridges. I wish I had found/tried these when I was in my 20's. Oh well, experience is a very fine teacher.