Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
What happened with the 220 Swift? I heard that it got drunk at a family reunion, started hitting on its cousin, some 6mm cartridge, also drunk, and the Swift's wife caught them going at it. She then cheated on the Swift with the 250 Savage, and got pregnant. That's REALLY where the Creedmoor came from.

Ha... the dirty bastard.

I've had a few Swifts ranging in age from a Model 54 Winchester to Ruger 77Vs & enjoyed them all. A groundhog killing buddy saw what the Swift did at over 450 paces & promptly got one of his own. Brass was hit or miss back then. Norma was absolutely the best but expensive & not always available. The W-W stuff was not the greatest dimensionally for the Ruger's chamber, but was better than the Frontier/Hornady stuff. The 4000+ fps with 50s was unattainable with even reasonable accuracy in any Swift I've owned. Norma loaded ammo came close. In the early 90s I got a bastardized 22-250 Ackley long in trade & after some work got far better speed & accuracy, so the Ruger went on the sale rack. It sold quickly. A few years ago the well pump went south & a guy really wanted the Model 54, so I got to take a shower & he now owns an old Swift. If I come across another Swift at a decent price it might have to follow me home. I have dies & all needed components. When the Ackley barrel is done I'll probably build another. Just because.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy