Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
As a factory chambering, the .220 was pretty much dead.
Then about 1976 Ruger resurrected the round with a limited run of Model 77's. It was successful enough that it became a standard choice in the 77 and the Number 1 rifles. Other manufacturers may have chambered it as well but I'm not certain. I seem to recall a guy with a Savage rifle at my club. Single-shot and I believe it was a Swift.
Now the round seems to have fizzled out again despite a dedicated fan club.
Why so little love for this cartridge now?
My Ruger 77 in .220 Swift was an excellent rifle and a 'chuck killing machine.

One of the big things is that interest in colony varmint shooting has waned. Look at all centerfire varmint offerings in varmint platforms (in other words, ignore the .223 in an AR platform). Compared to 10-15 years ago they are few and far between. Particularly look at those based on the .222 Rem case head.

I love the .220 Swift but I don't have one and probably won't again. A couple things happened .. we had a component shortage at the same time farmers and outfitters decided to monetize varmint shooting. This drove away many varmint shooters who never came back. Now they shoot PRC or don't shoot much at all. The Swift is a fairly accurate cartridge, but with a 1-14" twist it is not competitive at the long range shooting sports of today.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...