Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
AI that sumbich and we'll talk....

HS, I did just that, spent a bunch, but in the end not sure it was worth it.... Shot well, was a little faster, but the 7x57 is 'just right' as it is.. IMHO.

If I end up with another '7' it will probably be a x57 NOT AI'd

I've seen you mention that AI'd 7x57. I'll admit I'm jealous. I don't know if I understand what you mean by "just right". I believe in certain velocities for certain bullets at certain ranges, I believe in reamer specs that give the bullet a good head start, and I believe in case efficiency relative to bore size. In my estimation, the 7x57 AI with the right reamer specs covers those bases pretty well. I should add that I'm not a fan of case taper. It means I'll have to lose time and brass through trimming, and I just don't have time for that anymore. An AI'd Mauser case in a standard-length action with a minimum but long throat so that long bullets are in the neck rather than in the case, and that comes pretty close to Western hunting perfection, given today's affordable bullet, optic, and LRF tech.

To each his own though. If I lived in Florida, I'd likely agree that screwing around with an AI just isn't required. I did live in Florida for a short time in my 20's and what I saw for possible hunting didn't require anything special in regard to cases, bullets, optics, or range finders.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.