Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by roundoak
Have you tried Seafire's load of 40 grains IMR 3031? It has been shown to turn lousy shooters into accurate ones. PM him and get the scoop. Don't believe Cactus Jack would have kept a 7x57 around if it was not accurate. Surely, Eleanor would not have put up with a lousy shooter that killed the amount of game she did.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to when I can get my hands on a pound of it. Right now I have some 160-gr Match Kings loaded up in front of IMR4350 just to see how they do. The rifle in question is a M70 Featherweight - not the Ingwe Special - that shoots 175s into less than an inch, but that's not the bullet I want to use in this particular rifle (I have others for those). I'd rather use a lighter bullet in this rifle, but it scatters 140 and 150 grain Partitions, as well as 154-grain InterLocks. But if it'll shoot the 160s I'll be fine with that since I have a bunch of 160-gr Partitions, Hot-Cors, and Grand Slams.

I haven’t had much luck getting 140 partitions, 139 or 154 interlocks to do well in 7 anything. This is difficult for me because interlocks shoot great for me in everything else and usually what I reach for. When I want lighter in 7mm, the Speer 145 hotcor has been a consistent standout in 7x57, 7-08 and a couple of 280’s. The 150 and 160 partition do good as well for me. I’ve pretty much settled on 145 hotcor for deer, 160 partition for bigger stuff when needed. Do have an itch to try 145 LRX’s though. Going to wait until I see how the 129 LRX does on game in my 270 first.

Last edited by TomM1; 07/16/20.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's