I own copies of all his books,used to read all his magazine articles.Some say he was very imaginitive in his writing,all I know for sure is that everything I read of his left me wishing there was more.My desire to hunt in general,and especially to hunt in Africa was definately kindled by Robert Ruarke.Peter Hathaway Capstick,who grew up and learned to hunt and fish in the area I live in now,kept that desire burning.I'm leaving for Africa in 34 days.....but who's counting.
Capstick's mother's family owned (may still for all I know) the Hathaway Shirt Company,and their family was very close with the Salvato family who owned and ran Paterson Rod and Gun for many years.Joan Salvato was the world distance fly casting champion for many years and was the wife of Lee Wulff of American Sportsman fame.
The Salvato's ran one of the finest hunting and fishing stores I've ever seen.They always had an extensive inventory of fine "pre-owned" firearms for sale.Shortly after Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away,and shortly before the Salvatos retired and sold the business,they had a worn but obviously well cared for Evans double rifle in .470NE for sale.I couldn't afford it anyway,but didn't make the connection until several months after the shop was moved by the new owners.I handled that rifle several times,but had to be very careful not to drool all over it.If I had made the connection,I might have moved heavan and earth to acquire it.