Originally Posted by 3Eighths
PHC may have been a good professional hunter, but he was a poor -- and I mean really really poor -- writer. He completely and utterly screwed up the biography of a true character of the British Empire in Africa of the early 20th Century, Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen. Capstick's book, "Warrior" is virtually unreadable and is full to the very brim of BS.

I'm afraid I agree with the Meinertzhagen book. A tough read. PHC was at his best in article length snippets. DITLG is basically short stories hooked together. I rather like his SAFARI_ THE LAST ADVENTURE as well as DITLG and DITDC.

Peter did look like warmed over death in the leopard video. Looked like advanced COPD. Capstick never claimed to be James Joyce, just an ordinary guy trying to write about Africa. I admit I enjoy his embellishment of the hunting exploits much more than his foray into biography.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo