Originally Posted by 5sdad
My favorite story may be the one about the bwana blowing up the crapper when the mamba was using it.

I recall that was from his short story published in the American Hunter "Mamba Means Death". PHC was the sole reason I read The American Hunter for several years.

I often think PHC was a bit misunderstood by PH's and the public alike. I had the pleasure of his acquaintance and never found him to be braggadocios or to inflate claims of his skill. He did start his African training pretty much from scratch with the help of Geoff Broom, who I believe lent him the use of the man who became Capstick's mentor in the bush, Silent. Peter did learn about the bush, animals, and African bush culture. His time working for Game Control in Zambia gave him total immersion, if you will.

Peter, in my mind, only claimed to have the "bug" for Africa. Many of us have the same bug. PHC got to live out the life of a PH, and write about it. That was his goal when he started. I never got the impression that he was claiming to be the all knowing Oracle on the Hill. He was an American who dreamed of Africa, and passed on what he learned. Sure, he spiced it up, but that makes for good reading. I truly believe that the Renaissance in the Safari Industry that took place in the '80's and 90's was fueled by Peter's writings. How many of us read "Death in the Long Grass", and yearned for Africa? I certainly did. I found that even a few hardcore African PH's would dismiss PHC as a PH. but add "He's a bloody good storyteller!"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo