My name is Taesha, and I am 24.
I grew up never hearing, learning, or talking about politics. At age 15 I probably could have named maybe 2 presidents. Once I entered high school, all of my friends were liberals, so I went along with it and become one of them. I thought all Republicans were psychotic conservative close minded bullies, that hate people like me. (Tattooed, colorful hair, bisexual woman.) It wasn't till I became an adult that I researched and educated myself, and started to ask questions. As soon as I began digging and asking questions, my liberal friends and family shamed me and dismissed me. I continued searching and eventually realized the truth. That my beliefs and values aligned almost entirely with the conservative party. And that the ones who claim to be all accepting (libs) are actually the biggest bullies and hypocrites that there are.
As I continued to learn and grow, the ones accepting me and allowing me to question things, and dissect things, and learn for myself, were my new and true Republican friends. Even at times where we would disagree or I'd wonder off- my Republican friends accepted and loved me. Meanwhile my "accepting, loving, non judgmental liberal friends" are nowhere to be seen.
I then became a Republican and fully immersed myself in the support of our incredible President, and was completely and entirely cut off by several loved ones. BUT I had gained so many new incredible and true friends through my growth.
Later, I had my biracial daughter and that is when all hell really broke lose. By strangers, friends, and loved ones, I have been told that I am a racist. That I am a horrible mother to be raising my daughter of color in a conservative household. I've been told that "God screwed up, sending me a brown daughter." I've been told to kill myself. I've been told I don't deserve my daughter. Etc etc etc, you get the point.
I to this day, continue to question things, grow, learn, and improve. And that is OKAY. That is what makes America so phenomenal. We have the freedom to ask, talk, and grow. We have the freedom to do, say, live, worship, and love, how and if we want. We have the freedom to have purple hair, tattoos, and a bumpy past, and still be loved.
I won't lie, it hurts to be continuously ridiculed and called a bad mom. But it only makes me stronger and more proud to raise my daughter under a loving, Republican, all accepting household, where she will be able to be who she wants and ask questions freely, in a safe environment. I will teach her those things, along with the pride that comes with being an American and the gratitude that we all should have for being able to enjoy the freedoms that we do here. I will teach her true acceptance and tolerance, like my true friends showed me; even when people disagree or are mean. I will teach her to have thick skin and a good heart, and that she is a beautiful, powerful, respectable, and capable woman.
This mama and daughter, bleed red white and blue.
And we are so grateful to be a part of this community.
Love y'all- let's keep America great!